Happy You Year!
I am so grateful and excited to welcome a brand new year. A chance for new opportunities and desires to be fulfilled. We want to play big and bold and make changes. We want to feel alive and content and excited.
So how are we going to do it?
First we have to sweep 2012 out the door! She won’t go quietly if we don’t give her a fond farewell. Take out a notebook and write down the lessons learned and let them go. For example, you got yourself into debt but you recognized it, and have now learned want vs. need. Acknowledge that everyone makes mistakes, this is mine, I am grateful I learned this lesson and it will serve me as I move forward. Close the notebook.
Meditate daily. On your goodness. Get comfy, pull your blanket around you and close your eyes. Think about yourself. How awesome you are. Your gifts, the things you’ve overcome. How you will not allow anyone to mistreat you or minimize you, no matter what you have to do. Our first ever 2013 intention should be to love ourselves. And from that everything will bloom. Our relationships. Our businesses. Our health. Add on goals and desires to this only after you have made it a habit.
YOU + HIGH SELF-WORTH – NEGATIVE PEOPLE AND BELIEFS = POWER
Next step, vision board time. Get yourself a piece of poster board and some magazines to cut out images and words that represent your desires or just draw what you want with markers. Be sure to write down the thing that you think people would laugh at you for attempting. The thing you really want but tell yourself it’s impossible. Yeah, that one. Keep your vision board out where you can see it. When a goal is manifested, give it a sticker or a check mark to say thank you to the Universe.
Visualize. If you want to publish a book, picture what the cover will look like and how it feels in your hands. Want to win a Grammy? Pick out your outfit you’ll wear to the awards show. Replay the scene every day.
Work. Check out designers on 99designs.com and get going on your book cover. Commit to 20 minutes of writing a day. Take steps each day toward your goal.
Act as if. If your book were published, how would you feel? You would probably be more prone to smiling and positive thinking. So act that way now.
Invest In Yourself. Commit to buying one book or attending a coaching class. Everything comes from the way you see yourself and your self-worth and value.
Little things. These small changes remind us that we’re on our path.
- Change your screensaver to something motivating and/or peaceful.
- Choose a theme song that is your own private victory anthem. Play it when you feel defeated (there will be tears and setbacks this year) or to celebrate a small or big win. I love Alicia Keys Brand New Me. “I’ll never be perfect, but at least now I’m brave.” //www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOSv1TIa58M
- Pick 3 days randomly in your calendar this year that you will get yourself a latte, buy flowers or a candle or get a massage. Put it in your phone and set the reminder.
- Give someone a free pass. Choose an annoying habit of someone close to you, your husband, your mother, a co-worker and give them a free pass. Crazy, right? Give it a try as a part of your spiritual practice to be a calm, centered person. Building this muscle will both strengthen your spirit of patience, AND you’ll be prepaying for a free pass for yourself. I know, this one is a killer.
- Help someone else. This year, we will no longer allow violence against women in any form. Go to //www.vday.org/home and participate in One Billion Rising on Feb. 14, 2013 or donate to watchherthrive.com. WE have to stand up for ourselves, not someone else. Add to your morning meditation a prayer for all violence against women to end and recovery for survivors. Contributing to something larger than yourself yields unmerited gifts and rewards. And if you can’t figure out your passion, think of what you have to give, and you might find your talent there.
Fare thee well 2012. I’m blowing you a kiss with my new lipstick. It’s a new year, full of new opportunities and promise.
So with a handful of glitter in the air, Welcome 2013! I have a good feeling about you…
Mal Duane is a Best Selling Author and Personal Life and Recovery Coach who has overcome life challenges using the steps in the Alpha Chick Process. Her personal mission is to help women excel in all areas of their lives from business to personal relationships. Mal has been featured with Fox 25 Boston Morning Show, Aspire Magazine, Healthy Living and Metrowest Daily News. She has also been a featured guest on over thirty Blogtalk Radio shows discussing recovery and personal transformation.
Mal’s book, Alpha Chick, Five Steps for Moving from Pain to Power, is a best selling book and is available on Amazon.com.